What is Aerobic Exercise v. Cardio Exercise?
Aerobic exercise is the same as what we all know as cardio exercise. Cardio exercise is any exercise when blood starts pumping rapidly and sends oxygenated blood that has come from the heart to the muscles. Breathing starts to accelerate and the heart starts beating more rapidly.
Good examples of aerobic exercises are running, swimming, walking, dancing, boxing. If a person performs these at too high of a level, it will then become anaerobe exercise.
Anaerobic exercise is a quick exercise that puts out a lot of energy but then you are quickly winded and have to stop. Sprinting or heavy weight lifting are good examples of anaerobic exercise.
All exercise is great for your health. It can improve your emotional health as well as your physical health. Diabetes, high blood pressure, cancer, heart issues and even osteoporosis can be reduced and even prevented by exercise.
So what is the big deal? Why is getting aerobic exercise so important and what affects does it have on the body?
Keeps you slim. Oxygen is necessary for your body to lose weight. Increasing oxygen in the bodies muscles will help keep weight off and fight off any extra calories you took in for that day.
- Increases your stamina and reduces fatigue
- Raises your immune system leading to better health and fights off the flu and other contagious diseases.
- Decreases your risk of obesity, heart disease, high blood pressure, diabetes, stroke and certain types of cancers.
- Keeps your blood sugar levels controlled. Leading to less cravings for sugar
- Makes your heart stronger and pumps blood more efficiently. This improves how blood flows through your whole body keeping you healthy.
- Keeps your cholesterol low
- Improves you mood. Anxiety, depression have all been proven to reduce with regular exercise.
- Helps keep you mobile as you age. Aerobic exercise allow your muscles to stay strong and the more you move, the easier it is to move when you get older.
- Live longer! Studies have shown that people who exercise regularly live longer than those who don’t.
These all sound like great reasons to me! Try and get at least 3 days a week in for exercise, your body will love it. Here are some places in Redwood City that offer aerobic classes:
- 24 hour Fitness: 1050 Broadway
- Powerhouse Gym: 2075 Broadway
- Heartcore: 930 Main Street