As I am getting older, I am hearing about a lot of diseases that my friends and family have and cancer is mentioned a lot. So, in doing some research I have found the following information that may help. Here are some herbs that can help boost immunity, help with chemotherapy and just make your treatment work that much better.
1. Astragalus (Huang Qi): This is an Eastern Medicine Herb that boosts the immune system. It stimulates interferon that is produced in the body. It also helps the immune system identify defective cells. The Anderson Cancer Centre conducted a research study that showed taking Astragalus during Radiotherapy doubled survival times.
2. Berberis Family (Podophyllum peltanum): Research has shown that it can be strong against Ovarian Cancer.
3. Bloodroot (Sanguinaria Canadensis): This has been shown to be effective against tumors (shrinking them). Shown to be very effective with Sarcomas
4. Butchers Broom (Ruscus Aculeatus): Tumor shrinking abilities and anti-oestrogenic (female hormone) abilities. This is used for the treatment of breast cancer.
5. Cat’s Claw (Uncaria Tormentosa): A powerful immuno-stimulant. It enhances phagocytosis which is when the white cell try and get rid of infections in the body. Great when used with Astragalus, cur cumin and echinacea. Research has shown that it can decrease tumor size, especially skin cancers. It can also be helpful with side effects of chemo and radiotherapy.
6. Chaparral (Larrea mexicans): Boosts the immune system and can stop metastasis and reduce tumor size especially with breast cancer. It is also an anti-oxidant and anti-microbial.
7. Curcumin (Turmeric): Has anti-microbial and anti-inflammatory effects. Polyps and colon cancer can be shrunk and the blood supply which helps tumors grow can be decreased greatly with this herb.
8. Dang Shen Root (Codonopsis pilosula): This herb increases both white blood cell and red blood cell levels so it can be helpful with chemotherapy and radiotherapy.
9. Echinacea: Enhances the immune System and is great for fighting off colds. It has also been shown to help with brain tumors.
10. Feverfew: More effective than the drug cytarabine in killing leukaemia cells.
11. Goldenseal: One cause of stomach cancer can be the bacterium Helicobacter pylori. This burrows into the mucous lining of the stomach to hide from gastric acids, and then causes irritation, acid reflux, ulcers and even cancer. Goldenseal paired with the mineral Bismuth, will kill Helicobacter pylori.
12. Milk Thistle: Known to be helpful to cleanse the liver but it is also helpful for protecting the liver during chemotherapy.
13. Pau D’ Arco: This is tree bark and an anti-cancer herb. Strong anti-bacterial, anti-yeast and anti-microbal. Immune strengthening abilities and seem to help in cases of blood and lymph cancers.
14. Red Clover: Helpful during Breast and prostate cancer treatment. Active ingredient is Genistein which was called “the anti-Oestrogen” herb by Professor Powles of the Royal Marsden.
15. Sheep’s Sorrell: Used in Essiac (tea and supplement available in Canada) and other herbal remedies. It is a cleanser and helps with tissue regeneration. Some research has showed that it may normalize damage cells and tissue. It can also be used for intestinal worms since it has been shown that they have no resistance to this herb.
16. Skull Cap (Scutellaria Barbata): Acts against many cancer types and especially lung, stomach and intestine cancer.
17. Sutherlandia (Cancer Bush): This herb is anti-inflammatory, anti-viral and anti-fungal. It does give a boost to the immune system and helps prevent necrosis or wasting of patients with cancer.
18. Thorowax/hares ear (bulpleurum scorzoneaefolium): Acts as a natural interferon and has been shown very useful with bone cancer.
19. Wheatgrass: On shot of wheatgrass can give 12 or more broccoli kilograms of chlorophyll. It is a blood purifier and a liver and kidney cleanse. After 2 weeks of daily use, blood and tissue oxygen increases as well as circulation.
20. Wormwood: Anti-malaria and anti-microbial/anti-yeast and is great with an anti-candida diet. Note: These are herbs and do have side effects and do sometimes conflict with pharmaceuticals. Even so, the use herbs as a part of your integrative cancer-fighting program can be extremely helpful. They just might make a serious difference to your health. But please make sure you go to an expert medical herbalist for clear and informed advice.