Chiropractic care during pregnancy can provide large benefits for you and your baby. Here are some of the benefits you can expect:
1. Healthier pregnancy
2. Decreased nausea
3. Reduced labor time & delivery
4. Relief of back, neck or joint dysfunction
5. Prevention of cesarean section
6. Decreased rates of breech babies
BREECH POSITION CAN BE REVERSED:
Being told you have a breech baby can be scary, especially when you are a first time mom. There is a technique that helps create more room in your pelvis allowing your baby to move more freely. It is called the Webster Technique. This technique aligns the pelvis and loosens the Uterosacral and Round Ligaments attached to the uterus. These can pull and tug on the uterus tightening up and restricting movement of your baby. When the pelvis is aligned and the ligaments are relaxed, your baby has room to move and position head down ready for birth. This technique can also help with pelvic pain, sciatica and keep you aligned for an easier birth.
How Can Chiropractic Help Prevent C-Section?
Dr. Gregory is certified in the Webster Technique and has helped many expectant mothers during and after pregnancy. If your baby is in the breech position it does not mean that they will stay there. With help your baby can turn. Years ago obstetricians were prepared and trained for vaginal breech births. C-Sections were not very common. Now, if breech position is seen on ultrasound after 36 or 37 weeks, you will be scheduled for a External Cephalic Version (Version) . If this is unsuccessful then you will be scheduled for C-Section. This is the standard. This is an invasive, surgical procedure that can take a long time to recover from and in most cases avoidable.
You will be amazed at how this technique can also decrease “normal” symptoms expecting mothers feel are all part of being pregnant. We can help you feel great during pregnancy and after!
Here are some tips for expectant mothers:
Keeping your pelvis mobile and aligned is key for a healthy child birth. Here are some tips to creating the most efficient birth process:
1. Most first time moms see us when they are having pelvic pain or are around 37 weeks with a breech baby and want to avoid C-Section. We can help up to the due date but the sooner you see us, the better. Expectant moms who see us during pregnancy are more mobile, have less pain during pregnancy and child birth, sleep better and can also have less swelling in ankles and hands. Chiropractic can decrease labor times by 24% for first time moms and up to 33% for multiple births.
2. Pain during pregnancy is not normal. Yes your body does change and there is some tension but large amount of tension on the Round Ligament, Pubic Symphysis or Sacrum is not normal and can happen when the hips are not aligned and moving properly. Tight ligaments can also lead to breech position. The Webster Technique loosens the Round Ligament. It is gentle and helps your baby feel more comfortable allowing them to move more freely and present in better positioning.
3. Stay mobile…especially the hips. Prenatal yoga, in addition to body work can all lead to your pelvis aligning and allowing the birth canal to open up getting ready for birth. Stretching and flexibility will also allow your body to prepare for child birth. Your major hip flexor (Psoas Muscle) can become tight and put pressure on the low back and abdomen. Keeping this loose will help open up the hip joint and make it easier during labour. The more flexible you are, the better.
4. Relax your pelvic floor. These muscles are the muscles that are used when we try to stop urinating. In order to find them, you can stop urination and see what that feels like. It is not recommended to do this every time, just to see what muscles you need to contract. Doing this repeatedly can lead to Urinary Tract infection. After figuring out how these muscles work. Contract them when your bladder is empty.
When these muscles are relaxed during labor, more space is available for your baby to move through the birth canal.
Chiropractic adjustments have been shown to relax these muscles and lead to more relaxing labors.
Even if you don’t have a breech baby, chiropractic during pregnancy can help you feel better and better prepare you for birth. This is great for you and your new addition to the family!
References: The effects of chiropractic treatment on pregnancy and labor: a comprehensive study. Fallon J. Proceedings of the world chiropractic congress. 1991; 24-31.