Osteoarthritis or a”OA” is the most common joint disorder. It is caused by stress to the joints or what is know as “wear and tear” on a joint.
High intensity sports, lifestyles, bad posture and movement, repetitive movements can all cause “OA”. If the joint is stressed so much that the body can’t take it, it swells up, elicits pain and become stiff. The joint will also try to stabilize by fusing if the body deems it too unstable.
Osteophytes that look like teeth can (bone spurs) appear in the spine and joints in the other parts of the body will grow larger if stressed too much.
Fact: Before age 55, OA occurs equally in men and women. After age 55, it is more common in women.
1. Weight gain. Those extra pounds put a lot of strain on the hips, knees, ankles and feet. Putting more of a load on the joints will lead to bone growth.
2. Fractures or other joint injuries can lead to “OA”. This is not only related to the bone. Cartilage and ligament injuries can also lead to this type of arthritis. This includes injuries to the cartilage and ligaments in your joints.
Physical jobs that require kneeling, squatting, lifting, climbing stairs, or walking for long periods of time.
4. Sports with large impacts on the joint: Football, basketball, soccer and sports with throwing will increase the risk.
Symptoms: Usually come on in middle age but have been starting to show up sooner now a days with the large amount of stress people put on their body’s daily.
– Pain, stiffness in joints. Worse after exercise or putting weight or stress on the joint.
– Rubbing, scraping, or crackling sound when you move the joint.
– Some people might not have symptoms, even though x-rays show the changes of OA.
– “OA” can be helped and prevented from getting worse with proper movement in the body which will decrease the stress on the joint.
Chiropractic is used by athletes to help them improve their game by having close to perfect body mechanics and helps with the stress and strain of the activity. If you want to stay healthy and keep your body as young and healthy as it can be….we can help!